The purpose of the DELAC is to advise, not govern, EL services and programs offered by the district. As an advisory group, DELAC member duties include:
- Developing a Master Plan for educational programs and services to English Learners.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishing district program goals and objectives for English Learners.
- Developing a plan to ensure compliance with teacher and paraprofessional requirements to teach English Learners.
- Administrating the annual language census.
- Reviewing and commenting on the district’s reclassification procedures for English Learners.
- Performing self-evaluation to determine if the DELAC is meeting its goals and appropriately representing the district’s English Learners.
The overall goal of the DELAC is to improve our English learners’ acquisition of fluency in English and to help our students achieve academic success.
All DELAC meetings, including subcommittees, are required by law to be open to the public. Meeting agendas must be posted in a public place a minimum of 72 hours in advance.
An ideal DELAC meeting agenda should include student achievement data, reclassification data, and discussion aimed to increase parental involvement. Items not listed on the agenda cannot be voted upon.